1. How did Red Lettered Goods get its start? It started with many years of doodling, learning from my dad that a handwritten card goes a long way, being in the right place at the right time to pursue lettering as a full time job, an online class and a LOT of practice.
2. What is your favorite piece you have made and how did you develop the idea for it? Before I launched Red Lettered Goods I created a custom print for our daughter Lucy’s nursery. One of the main reasons we chose her name is because Lucy means light. Anything related to light has always resonated with me. From this inspiration I made a print for her gallery wall that says - "Be the Light" (Matthew 5:4) in gold lettering. It’s a reminder to us that she is our little light and that as her parents we must be a light to her so that she can bring that same light to others.
3. What currently inspires your work the most? Anything that gives me all the feels - a joyful moment with my little family, an occasion worth celebrating, a good song, a beautiful day, coffee with a friend. I believe in the small moments in life; those sweet little nuggets of happy that keep us going each day. When one of those moments happens in my life I want to inspire others to not only recognize those moments but to celebrate them!
4. Do you have any tips/advice for anyone wanting to dive into watercolor? Educate. Practice. Ask questions. Seek useful resources. Find your tribe. Keep practicing. Have patience. Discover your style. Share it with the world.
5. What is the one question you are asked the most? Do you really do everything by hand?!
6. Anything new happening with Red Lettered Goods you want to share? I’m super excited about the next line of products I’ll be launching in a few weeks. Red Lettered Goods takes it to the heart of the home - the kitchen! To go along with the prints and recipe cards, I will be adding a new item that will be my first non-paper goods product - flour sack towels! I’ve teamed up with a handful of local St. Louis restaurants and food bloggers to feature one of their recipes on the towels. I love a good collaboration (wink wink) and supporting/celebrating local businesses, so I thought this would be a really fun way to do it. A couple recipes from our families will be included, and all recipes will be available in prints as well.7. Who is your favorite maker/creator at the moment? I’m always so inspired by Rachel Allene (@rachelallene). She’s my creative spirit animal. She’s incredibly genuine, and her products inspire in the way I strive for mine to be.
8. Describe yourself in three words. Red. Real. Passionate. The inside scoop version - Coffee enthusiast. Cheese connoisseur. Anything chocolate.
USE CODE "HOLLADAYS" AT CHECKOUT FOR 20% OFF YOUR PURCHASE ↴