This month's exclusive #stitchventure collaboration is with one of my favorite artists (as well as my friend), Alexis Winter! It has always been a dream of mine to offer exclusive patterns from my favorite makers & artists and I am just so excited that Alexis is teaming up with us this month to offer you this beautiful pattern! Read on to learn a little more about her process and what inspires her the most!
1. How did you journey as an illustrator start? It all started when I was 3 years old. Our family was invited to a friends house for lunch and they had the most beautiful majestic peacock as a pet. Our Irish setter Amelia joined us on our lunch outing and was so taken with the peacock she ran around after her in adoration all day… until the peacock had a heart attack and died. I illustrated them a picture of their dearly departed peacock shortly after and I’ve been drawing ever since.
2. What is your favorite piece you have made and how did you develop the idea for it? I have a bazillion allergies (I’m not exaggerating, that’s the exact number… I counted) and beautiful flowers are one of them, so one of my favourite illustrations is a self portrait of me sitting amongst an entire table of lovely flowers. The beauty of illustrating is even if you’re allergic to something in real life, you can still interact with it in the illustrated world. It’s like being able to do something in your dreams that you wouldn’t be able to in the waking world. My goal is to slowly create a series of self portraits of me interacting with all of the different things I’m allergic to. The self amusement is real.
3. What currently inspires your work the most? I LOVE The New Philosopher magazine. It has so many different articles of philosophical musings that are relevant to modern day, it’s impossible to read them without being inspired to turn some of those themes and concepts into illustrations.
4. Do you have any tips/advice for anyone wanting to dive into illustration? There are no shortcuts, so have fun and be kind to yourself. Don’t get too caught up in what anyone else is doing, just focus on your own work and getting better than you were yesterday or last week.
5. What is the one question you are asked the most? “Do you do this full-time?” And my standard answer is “Nope, I actually work full-time as a Visual Arts and Textiles teacher and all of my illustrative and freelance work is done in and around my full-time work.”
6. Anything new happening you want to share? I’m currently experimenting with illustrating repeat patterns and screen printing them onto yardage, which I then intend on sewing into dresses. I’m very excited to see how it all turns out.
7. Who is your favourite maker/creator at the moment? My lovely friend Amy Cicivelli just launched Kaiyo Studio. They create beautiful handmade earrings and you can check them out on Instagram (@kaiyo.studio) !
8. Describe yourself in three words? Energetic, optimistic, and driven.
Thank you so much for reading and don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for more amazing things happening over here at Gulush Threads!
USE CODE "HOLLADAYS" AT CHECKOUT FOR 20% OFF YOUR PURCHASE ↴